Friday, December 19, 2014

We Got A Double Whammy!


Last Wednesday I was rejected for the Gospel’s sake (twice!) in record time. I hadn’t set foot in the grocery store more than 10 feet before I encountered the first Gospel crusher. He was playing Christmas music on a saxophone right inside the store taking donations for the Make-A-Wish foundation. He had a sign showing that he had raised $15,800 so far. My friend tossed some money into his saxophone case and I tossed in a copy of The Biggest Question DVD. 

“What’s that?” he asked me. I told him it was a DVD about eternal things and asked him if he remembered actor Kirk Cameron, that he was a close friend of the ministry that made it. He said he had met Kirk several times, that Kirk was well aware of his 501c3, that he was a music minister, and a Christian, and then tried to give the DVD back. I smiled and told him to keep it, watch it, and give it to someone that would benefit from it. Then I turned to give a copy to the second Gospel crusher. I handed her the DVD and she asked what church it was affiliated with. I told her that we like the old dead guys like Spurgeon and Whitfield. She promptly handed the DVD back and said she was Catholic. That’s when saxophone guy gently pulled me on the shoulder trying to get me away from her clearly not wanting me to talk to her. He then proceeded to tell my friend and I that he was “doing something”. That he was being a “light”. That “your DVD is great and all, but I’m not just asking people for donations, I’m doing something.” It seemed like he was more concerned about people’s earthly comfort than their eternal comfort. Then he started to play his saxophone and we politely left to browse the store. About 15 minutes later saxophone guy found us, handed the DVD back while shaking his head and making a face like he was disgusted that we were handing them out. I think we hit a sour note with him.

So, what did we do? We boldly kept going and gave DVDs to several more people, all of who received them gladly. After all, Peter and John endured greater trials in Acts 4 than what we had just experienced, and they kept going. Why? Because just like saxophone guy knew, people indeed are dying, but they’re also lost.  And no wish fulfilled here on earth can surpass what Christ fulfilled on the cross. John 15:7 says, "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.”




No comments: