Friday, August 5, 2011

A Powerful Grace Gem

"One hour after death!" James Smith 1864

One hour after death, WHERE shall I be?

One hour after death, WHAT shall I be?

One hour after death, How shall I be EMPLOYED?

One hour after death, What will be my FEELINGS?

One hour after death, How shall I THINK?

How differently we shall think of money, pleasure, the indulgence of our lusts, all that we now call great, grand, and desirable--one hour after death! Let us endeavor to think now--as it is probable we shall think then!
Let us place ourselves in Heaven--and try to think there!
Let us place ourselves in Hell--and try to think there!
How different will things then appear!

Read the entire writing HERE

6 comments:

Radagast said...

I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But as much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. - Carl Sagan.

Unknown said...

I love this. It's so important to stay focused on eternity, yet so difficult with all of the distractions that we have every day.

Fish With Trish said...

"I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies..." - Jesus Christ (John 11:25)

stranger.strange.land said...

@ Carl Sagan

Since you said that, has anything changed? If you could somehow re-word that oft quoted statement in light of your subsequent experiences, would it be substantially different?

Craig Boyd

Radagast said...

@ Craig Boyd

Carl won't answer because he's dead.

stranger.strange.land said...

@Rad

Dead???!!!
Rats!! What a way to weasel out of answering my questions.