Monday, November 12, 2007

A Verse a Day

I try to memorize a verse a day from the Bible. My goal for this week is to memorize Eph 5: 15-21 which says…

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ."

I love the Word of God and when all is said and done the one thing we will be able to stand on are the Scriptures. I try to memorize as I go about my daily business. For example, as I am making lunch (heating up a T.V. dinner) I have my bible near me so that as I am waiting for the microwave do to its job I can memorize. I also do this as I'm folding laundry, it allows me to keep focused and makes the time go by quickly.

God’s Word is good for our soul and better than our necessary food. When I'm driving in the car I memorize…just kidding…I keep my eyes on the road, but when my husband is driving and especially if we are in traffic it’s a great time for me to review the verse for that day. I find the more I do this, the more I want to memorize. I figure in less than six months, I could have the entire book of Ephesians memorized. Just think of that…one entire book of the New Testament memorized. If there ever comes a time when we no longer have the Scriptures available to us (e.g. due to persecution) I want to have as much Scripture, as possible, hidden in my heart.

I want to be like an old saint I met three years ago. Naomi, 94 years old, was in a convalescent home. Though she couldn’t get out of bed she was eager to greet me with a warm smile when I visited. We talked about the Lord and I still remember the day she gently corrected me when I recited a scripture reference wrong. “Oh no…my dear….that actually is in the book of Colossians.” She said with a grin.

Naomi put me to shame at 94 years old! She knew so much of the Word of God that I was challenged and convicted to memorize more. When you’re 94 (if God grants you and I that long to live) and you are in a bed, hardly able to move, unable to go as you please, and not even food is desirable. Will Scripture be your daily bread?

I am reminded of a familiar saying from Ray Comfort, “No Bible…no breakfast. No read…no feed.” We should hunger and thirst for the Word more than we do our daily food. Why not take this challenge for yourself. No Bible…no breakfast. No read…no feed!?

2 comments:

NYC said...

Now I am being put to shame; I thought trying to memorize a verse a week, or every 2 weeks was ok. Perhaps it is time to dust off my brain and try memorizing a verse a day :)

Fish With Trish said...

Hi NCY!

Don't feel too bad :-) I am struggling to remember all the verses from a month ago. The key is to memorize and review. I need to work on my reviewing. Thanks for the comment!