Tuesday, April 1, 2008

"You're advice would be appreciated."

"....the reason I am writing is because I have a friend who claims to be a Christian, but has recently been drinking, dressing sensually, and holding company with unbelievers. How would you address this? Sometimes I am not as gentle as I would like on my approach. She's easily defensive. You're advice would be appreciated. God Bless! Jennifer"

Jennifer, I am so sad to hear this but I am pleased that you want to address her in love with the truth. Thanks for asking my advice. I would suggest taking her to Gal 5:19-21 which says:

"Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God."

I'd also explain that you love her and that you're concerned for her walk with God because you have been observing some liberties in her life that are deeply concerning you. You didn't mention if she is drinking to get drunk but if she is, she is in sin and in clear violation of scripture. If this is the case, then I would take heed to Gal 6: 1 which says, "Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted."

You may also want to take her to 1 Peter 3: 4-5 and address the modesty issue. These verses are speaking to married women so how much more would it be applicable to women how are single! Listen to what the Bible says about how we should adorn ourselves...

"Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel— rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God."

It's always good to go directly to scripture and let the Word of God answer for you. Then you can take comfort knowing that if your friend gets upset you don't have to take it personal--her issue is with the Lord. I pray that the Lord will give you the courage to speak the truth to her, in love, about these issues. And if you detect that she's false convert, use Gal 5 as a springboard and take her through the law.

No comments: