Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Everyday is a new day!

I am resolved with the Lord's help to do the following things in 2008 (not in any particular order):

  • Do everything to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God)
  • Serve my husband and be the best homemaker I can be (Proverbs 14:1 The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish pulls it down with her hands.)
    Read through the entire Bible at least once (Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.)
  • Preach the Gospel more than any other year (Mark 8:36-38 For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul? For what can a man give in return for his soul? For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.") Speak things which edify and are true (Psalm 141:3 Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!)
  • Meditate on and memorize the bible (Psalm 119:11 Your word I have hidden in my heart that I may not sin against You.)
  • Do everything with diligence and be a faithful employee (Proverbs 22:29 Do you see a man who excels in his work? He will stand before kings; He will not stand before unknown men.)
  • Surround myself with godly brethren and wise counsel (Proverbs 18:1 A man who isolates himself seeks his own desire; He rages against all wise judgment.)

There is no doubt that most of us wait until today to make resolutions, start new diets, exercise more, etc. But a few weeks or months, at best, go by and we find ourselves defeated. So whatever you desire to do this year, keep in mind (when you fail or are discouraged) that, for the Christian, the Lord’s mercies are new every morning and He is full of compassion (Lam 3: 22-23). We are called to abide in Him.

So everyday is a new day! We don't have to wait for the New Year to roll around to be resolved to turn over a new leaf. We can wake up each morning with a fresh start. Did you know that it is morning somewhere on the plant at all times? We can have a fresh start morning by morning or better yet moment by moment. I am reminded of that hymn, "Great is Thy Faithfulness" written in the early 1900's by William M. Runyan "morning by morning new mercies I find". Because the Lord is rich in mercy, He will enable us to serve Him every new day and moment. Happy New Year!

No comments: